Thursday, April 10, 2008

What were YOU doing at 3:30AM?

My head was just hitting the pillow when Mark's head shot up and off his pillow. He jumped out of bed and yelled, "Get in the bathroom!" before running to get the girls from their bedroom and bringing them in to join me. Poor girls were pretty groggy and not really sure what we were doing in the bathroom so early, let alone all together with our blankets, but overall they were really good sports.
In case you're unfamiliar with this scenario, or you don't live in Texas, this is all code for 'TORNADO.' Yeah, the whole sounds-like-a-freight-train-rumbling-past-the-window is a dead give-away. Which, by the way, is what we heard at 3:30am.
As it turns out, the tornadoes were actually North of us, but we still had winds 60-75 mph, and a lightning show that made it unnecessary to turn on any lights! It was pretty crazy. Mark and I were glued to the TV for the next 1/2 hr making sure we were in the clear before returning the girls to their beds and trying to get some sleep ourselves.
The funny thing about it all was that my first (or maybe 10th) thought was that I was glad I've been getting our 72-hr kits prepared, and that I'd just bought a whole slew of batteries at Sam's Club the previous day. I say funny because in reality, a tornado is not something you're going to need a 72-hr kit for. In fact, where we are located, there are very few scenarios where the area would be so devastated and so far from help that we would need to rely on our 72 hr kits. It's a bit frightening to think of what that would entail, actually, but my point is that I feel like my obedience in getting prepared brought me peace and comfort in a bit of a scary situation. Cool, huh?

5 comments:

Jen said...

What a scary thing! Ever thought of building a dome? ;o) What a comfort to be so prepared. Way to go!

Mommydew said...

Funny you should ask because if you would have called me I would have answered as I was up watching the news making sure we weren't going to blow away! I woke up to the sound of my kids bikes blowing away and yes as you guessed it I went out and brought them in. I'm nuts!

Sally said...

Huh...I definitely slept through all of that (Joe was on call)...glad it wasn't really a tornado..I might not be here..I guess when it's your time, it's your time, eh? :P

Ella WILLIAMSON said...

Wow Yes We heard a bad storm news. We slept like log. We did not hear any noise..PEACE!
Glad you and us are ok.

Jen York said...

So - to answer your question, we were up watching our electrical line shooting sparks while is was on fire! And, no, I'm not kidding.