Saturday, January 14, 2012

Games

I don't like Hyrum's newest game. It's a ramming game. I think it's called "run-into-the-back-of-mom-while-she's-standing-at-the-kitchen-sink." Over and over and over. And then again some more.

NOT my favorite.

I don't like Jacob's newest game. I'd like it even less if he had teeth, so at least I'm glad for that. It's where he opens his mouth as wide as possible and then attacks. As in, face-plant to the nearest extremity of your body.
It leaves you slimy and smelling like saliva.

My latest game is a spin on the classic 'Keep Away.' Only, I'm sweeping the floor and madly trying to push my dirt pile around the kitchen in-time and out-of-reach of Jacob, while frantically looking for the dust pan which I cannot find so I end up just sweeping everything into the pantry and slamming the door before Jake can crawl in.
Come to think of it, I don't like this game much either.

~

As long as we're on the topic of games, I just finished the Hunger Games series. "Just finished" as in I started book 1 Tuesday afternoon and finished book 3 some time around 4:00 Thursday morning.

[Yes, I am quite useless while I'm reading a book -- because if I'm going to read something it had better keep my attention. And if it keeps my attention, well, I'm not so good at multi-tasking and even worse at self-control.]

Anyhow.
I am sorry I read it. It's left me with a dark, sad feeling. And I'm confused, because I've heard soooo many people absolutely RAVE about the books. Okay, so obviously I was "into" the books to be able to consume them so quickly. But as I tried explaining to Mark, it was like watching a particularly horrific accident, and not being able to tear my eyes away because I had just enough hope that by some magic or miracle things would end happily ever after. But then they didn't. They just got worse and worse and worse and then a little better and then worse.
Kinda like the book equivalent of the movie, "Million Dollar Baby."
Personally, I'm not one for sad or sobering endings when it comes to entertainment. I think we have enough of that in the world already.

4 comments:

Sally said...

Ahh, THANK YOU for confirming to me that I don't want to read those books :) Everyone does rave about them, but when I asked someone what they were about, I wasn't particularly excited about the premise of the whole thing, so i decided to skip them altogether. Again, thank you :)

And thank you for having the guts to laugh at me about the dog on my blog--that made me happy :D

MoM said...

read "A Lion and a Lamb"--out loud to Mark--very interesting and UPLIFTING!

Tess said...

I'll definitely think twice if you ever invite me over for 'game night.'

Williams Family said...

I agree exactly! Couldn't put them down, but in a dark, weird kind of way! What's worse, I'm sure I'll go see the movie, too!