Sunday, May 29, 2011

Auto woes

Alas.

I hate car trouble.
I think everyone does.
My mom hates it enough that she named her new car "Charity" -- because 'Charity never faileth.'
We can all hope. (and have faith! hahaha! I crack myself up)

This weekend we were hit with a double whammy:
Friday afternoon, Black Jack* started acting funny. I pulled over and wouldn't you know, he wouldn't start again. Stupid alternator.
Of course I had all 4 kids with me. And no phone.
Thankfully we were right next to a McDonalds. Now, if you ever break down and have a bunch of kids with you, the best place to break down is next to a McDonalds. It the perfect place to let your kids go wild for a few hours while you sort your troubles out. And who can be grumpy downing an Oreo Blast?
As it turned out, my friend, Angela, was our hero and came to save us. Bless her! I cannot even count all the times she's bailed me out of like situations.

With Black Jack down, we were left to go to church this morning using the other cars: Wilma* & Mark's work car, since we can't fit everyone in either one alone. And even if we could all fit in Mark's car, it's too full of his work stuff to fit.
So we rearranged car seats and such, got everyone placed and buckled, went to pull out, and thunk-thunk.
...
Crap.
Wilma's front tire was completely flat.
Turns out it had a big slash in the tire that looks suspiciously like someone came along and, well, slashed it.
Guess that's what we get for leaving it on the street.
Blast.

And we would have been almost sorta on time.




*We name our vehicles. It's a tradition handed down from my family. Growing up I remember cars named Bugzy, Van-Goh, Babe the blue truck, the Puick, the "eep," Boris, and Natasha; with bikes including Silver Fox, Pink Panther, Bluebell, Lion, and a vacuum named Sebastian.

Black Jack came to us originally named Jack, because it was an Eddie Bauer edition. (Get it? Jack Bauer?) But when Andrea excitedly told her teacher about the new car, her enthusiasm confused the named and she called it Black Jack. We thought it was so cute of her that we'd let it stick.

3 comments:

Jen said...

I love those vehicle names :)

Sally said...

Aw, dang. And double-dang--if i'd known you were staying home from church, too, i'd have called you.

Heather said...

We always tried to name our cars, but they never stuck. Maybe it's because I came up with names and no one ever used them.... I did name my trees, though. We did manage to name the vacuum, though. He was a bright orange Hoover named Herbert.