Monday, May 9, 2011

Happy?

For Mother's Day I got a ticket-tape parade. Well, that is if you count a whole bunch of papers cut up into itsy-bitsy pieces then paraded through the house as ticket-tape, and cheering that sounds a whole lot more like mom yelling, then yes, I got my parade.


I talked to my sister on the phone last night around 10pm. She asked how my day had been. I replied that I was currently microwaving some Ramen noodles for my dinner after I'd just put my 9th batch of laundry in the washer.
...
She didn't press the issue.

Now before anyone starts sharpening the pitchforks and aiming them at Mark, I have to say this - it was WONDERFUL to be able to do 9 loads of laundry. Truly. Oh, and by the way, those 9 loads encompassed 2 sets of sheets and most of the kids' clothes. That's it. Yeah... laundry has been stacking up a wee bit. Why? Because our dryer kicked the bucket right as I was noticing I really needed to get some laundry done. 3 weeks ago. And since I'd rather go buy new clothes than do laundry anyway, I certainly did not find the motivation to haul everything to a laundromat. Or even my friend's house when offered.
Normally in this situation Mark would have just torn apart the dryer and fixed it. (And really, how many people can do THAT? He's amazing.) But, since we were planning to install a recently-acquired gas dryer, he figured he'd spend the energy on accomplishing that.
However,
that meant running a new gas line to the laundry room. Oh, and the laundry room is getting re-modeled, so that meant pouring a cement slab. And busting out walls and concrete. And before that, stuff had to be moved out of the garage. Into the shed that needed to be built. In the back yard that needed excavating.

You might say that those loads of laundry were a long time coming.

So anyway, Mark has been burning the midnight oil to get all this done. And though it still has a ways to go, I am grateful for the all-nighter he pulled Saturday to make sure I had a working dryer so I could do laundry for church. Even if we didn't end up going since I had a horrible night with the baby, the kids were feeling sick, and Mark was a walking zombie.

Happy Mother's Day!

2 comments:

Barney Lund said...

Mary and I like to change events and holidays to holiday seasons--or birthday seasons, just in case that particular day isn't what it was cracked up to be. Anyway, Happy Mother's Day Season to you, Netty. We love and miss you!

Heather said...

My friend told me once that whenever she felt grumbly about doing the laundry, she just remembered the husband and children to whom it belonged and would rather have the laborious chore as opposed to not having them!

Hope you're all feeling better now!