Thursday, February 17, 2011

Bedrest

Been on bedrest this last week. Not a fan. I'm totally in nesting mode with more than enough to keep me busy for the next year, and not able to do a dang thing about it.

It all started when the morning after my shower (talk about timing!), I was awakened by "real" contractions coming every 5-7 mins.
Since I was only just barely 36 weeks that day, it was still a little too early. My doc said if my husband were black and we were expecting a girl things would be different. Apparently caucasian boys are the slowest in developing lungs. Dang.

I'm fairly certain it's universal - hating this last stretch of the pregnancy. So I don't feel entirely evil that I have to get daily, and sometimes hourly, reminders of why I don't want this little guy to just come and get it over with already. A couple weeks ago a couple friends were telling me about their enduring weeks of false labor. Ack! I probably shouldn't have commented that I was graciously spared that in my pregnancies. Karma has a real nasty sense of humor.

Anyway, for today's attempt at my daily affirmation that I'm "fine" waiting this out, I'd like to share the positives of being on bedrest:

a) Mark feels empowered when given the authority of warden. And he makes a good warden.
b) I get out of doing yard work, garbage, laundry, dishes, and meal-making. Wahoo! (wait, why don't I like this again?)
c) Morning doesn't generally start for me until around 11am. (really, why don't I like this?)
d) I am continually looked-after by my doting husband, who makes sure I'm well-fed and -hydrated. (except he gets a little stingy when doling out the chocolate...)
e) Mark stayed home from work on Valentine's day to ensure I didn't have to lift a finger all day.
...okay, wait.
This is sounding ridiculous. Why am I complaining again?
My life is pretty dang cush right now, and I'm getting the royal treatment from my husband -- something I didn't get on even my first pregnancy.
I guess some times it takes putting in down in words to see the situation more ... wait ... oooh ... con...trac...tion... ow ... ow ... ow ...
...
Sorry, what was I saying?

9 comments:

Lisa said...

Bedrest is the WORST! It sounds great but it's really hard! I feel your pain, and I know what you mean about reminding yourself that it's better to keep them in as long as possible! But if you keep going into labor I would ask your dr for a steroid shot to help the baby's lung develop! We credit that with keeping the twins out of the NICU when they were born at 36 weeks. Get caught up on all your tv/movies/books now before it's too late!!!

Jen said...

You make me laugh, Jeanette! Take it easy and enjoy the pluses while you can :)

Heather said...

I'm glad you're getting spoiled, but the bedrest would get old quick. Do you need anything? Give Mark a break?

Jessica said...

If it's not one thing in pregnancy it is 15 others. How frustrating! Good luck staying positive.

M and M said...

Please can I come over???

Chelsea said...

dang crazy stuff! let me know if you need something!

Sally T. said...

Poor you!!! We're about the same right now in terms of pregnancy, and I can't imagine being stuck in bed. I still have so much to do and so little time!!! I feel like the White Rabbit. Hang in there. You'll make it!

Anonymous said...

Cross your legs lady for another week or two! We want that boys lungs to be in superb condition for all that wailing his gonna have to do. Also.. since when is Mark not black?

Really wish I could be there to help ya out!

Sally said...

Aw, so sorry! Hang in there--i'll be thinking about you! Miss y'all tons!