Monday, August 2, 2010

My house smells like BLEACH.

This morning Mark woke me up by asking,
"Do you want me to show you what I caught or just get rid of it?"

Hmmm.
Apparently having a hole in your garage wall into your pantry is the equivalent of laying out a Welcome mat.
We've been waging a war against ants all year. Betty Crocker and Nabisco have been the main casualties. I'd cry every time I had to throw out another box of Oreos, but it got personal when I found them in my make-up.
For a while there I thought they'd prevail. It seemed no amount of spray or bug bombing would deter the little pests. So I switched to playing defense and started purchasing air-tight containers. Not a small endeavor, by the way. Or cheap. At one point I considered just switching us all to a permanent diet of Taco Bell. But my kids don't like burritos.
Anyhoo,
the air-tight containers seemed to do the trick. That is, for the ants, anyway. Then a couple of weeks ago I noticed droppings. Aargh! and GROSS! I hate mice (said in my whinniest voice). So we got some traps, loaded them with Peanut Butter and waited. Mark said he heard the traps go off about an hour later, but nothing was there. So he got out the rat trap. Unfortunately, that is what we caught.
Can I just say I am sooooo incredibly creeped out by that?! I don't care how cute Pixar's Ratatouille was. SICK. Sick. Sick. Sick.
Enter the bleach. Lots of bleach.

So I wasn't too surprised at the bleach fumes later this morning.

Oh yeah, the critter Mark caught? A possum.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

eeeek! possums? that was kind of him to ask and to give you the throw it out option. I feel that porter would have delighted in showing me the vermin.

Jen said...

Oh. My. Word!

Anonymous said...

What!??!!? Wow. I don't even know what to say to that.

In other news, I was SOOO tempted to buy Oreos yesterday, but didn't (small victory). I can't imagine buying them and then having to throw them away! Tragic!

Sally said...

ih. And yikes. I hope that will be the end of your pesky problems!

How are you feeling, btw?

Jen York said...

The possum was in your garage? Please don't say he was in your pantry. We've seen a few here and there since we moved here 9 years ago. Nathan has killed 3 (I think) in our backyard over the years. Our best/worst story about possums is dated 2001. Kassi was 3 months old. We had moved into our house and had the doors open all day long as the house was being gutted. One day, my uncle found a possum circling and sniffing Kassi as she sat in her bouncer IN OUR HOUSE! SCARY!!! However, this is not all about me. I really feel for you. a RAT?? I would be freaking out and bleaching the place too. Bless your heart.

Net said...

Yeah, the possum was actually in our pantry! Eck! So gross! We've had a problem with Possums in the garage before. The first year Mark didn't have the heart to kill them. Second year he did!

Jon said...

Seen Over the Hedge?