Tuesday, July 27, 2010

In the middle of the night.

3:00am:
I feel a little body trying to wiggle into bed with me, when my incredibly-heightened sense of smell detects a waft of urine. Blast.
I jump up to dissuade her climbing into bed with me without being "mean." We groggily head to her bedroom. Sure enough, all blankets are soaked. And I mean soaked. Blast.
I give silent gratitude for the plastic sheet covering the mattress. Then I silently curse her top bunk bed position.
I'm frustrated.
I hate changing sheets/blankets in the middle of the night. I hate doing laundry. I know it's not her fault, but it's really hard to not be mad. Especially since she "forgot" to wear her nighttime pull-ups.
I'm really, really frustrated.
But I don't say anything. I just try to hurry and get it done so I can go back to bed. So I don't say a word. Not a single word.

I'm finished. I help her in bed and then start to leave, when I'm stopped by a weak, "Hey, Mom?"
Sigh. Turn around.
"What, sweetheart?" a little more sharply than I intend.
"I love you - more than I ever have."


3:14am:
I'm climbing into bed; my heart is about to burst because I have the greatest kid ever.

10 comments:

Jen said...

Sweet!

me said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
me said...

Awwwww.......nice post, Net.

me said...

Ummm, that "me" comment that was removed was me. I thought it would be better to use a recognizable name. Just in case you're wondering.

Really, great story. Thanks for sharing.

Barney Lund said...

This is extremely cute. I also like the acronym-ism in your other post.

Sally said...

Awww.. :)

Anonymous said...

aw.. that makes me tear up just a titch.

Anonymous said...

What a sweet post. Isn't it moments like this that make it worth it? I guess...I'm imagining when Millie can talk. :)

Molly said...

Mom said your blog made her cry & that I'd better read it. Now I'm crying too.

Heather said...

I love those moments when I force myself to remain calm and try really hard to be patient even when I really don't want to be. I'm always VERY glad that I did. Sounds like you were, too.