Monday, July 12, 2010

She's Craf-ty

Well, not really. Wish I were. 

That's why I get so excited when I do something and it actually turns out! 
Lately I've been doing myself a huge dis-service by looking at all these amazing craft-themed blogs and taking a hit to my esteem at each click of the mouse. No kidding, these people are ridiculous. I honestly can't figure out how someone can be so creative & productive AND have time to blog about it! And of course they're all mothers to 8 kids, make gourmet meals (and share their recipes - naturally), and apologize profusely when every hundred pics there is one that shows some semblance of realness in their perfectly kept homes. Sheesh. I have a hard time keeping up with the dishes!

Anyway, so after a few nights of this ritualistic torture I decided I'd better get on the ball and get crafting before my hopes of being a "with-it" mom were dashed to pieces. Here's what I came up with:


Attempt #1: Candyland Cake
This was actually put/thrown together for a fund-raising auction. If I'd taken more time I'm sure I could have done a better job. Oh well.



Attempt #2: "tile" picture

soooo, the original idea said to use tile board. Tile board? Never heard of it. 2 days, 6 craft stores, 3 hardware stores (and not a lot of patience left), later, I gave up and used real tiles. And since I am NOT a patient person, of course the measuring was too bothersome to do perfectly, and well, as you can see, it's not perfect. But I am really pleased at how brilliant the blue turned out. I think that totally saved it.
Oh, a week later I learned in church that tile board is something you can get (and only get) at Provo Craft. In Utah. Of course.



Attempt #3: Menu board
This one I'm actually quite pleased with... finally. I think I worked on this project for an entire week and spent more money than it's worth trying to do it. The original idea was to use chalkboard paint on a metal surface. I didn't have a metal platter, but I did find the frame (which I love!) on clearance. So I tried painting the cardboard backing. Didn't go so well. So I cut out some dry-erase board and painted that. Even worse. Finally a dear friend rescued me by suggesting that I just use the glass as a dry-erase board. Felt kinda stupid for painting the stuff I had! Blast! until I put that blue & white checked paper behind the glass. Now I love it. LOVE. 



Attempt #4: Kids' silhouettes 
These definitely would have turned out better had I not laminated the black. Bad move. But I had printed out pics of the kids, cut them out & painted them, and they were curling like crazy on all the edges. And tape would have looked tacky. Oh well. Ultimately I'd like to put these in shadow-box frames, but for now the kids just love looking at themselves this way. Pretty funny, actually.

11 comments:

Mardi said...

I'm impressed. All this and pregnant too? Really? You rock. And I too have spent hours on the craft blogs....where to start?

Jessica said...

Wow girl! I agree I don't know where these women get the time. Beautiful job on your crafts though.

Cook Family said...

I like the menu planner craft! I secretly wish to be crafty too, but, alas, the time factor wins over. I am just now getting to where I get some reading time in the evening. :) Congrats on the pregnancy!

Jen said...

I really like your menu board! Great job on all of it. :)

Courtenay said...

Great ideas! They all turned out super cute:)

Courtenay said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Courtenay said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Molly said...

I'm just impressed that your menu includes seven real dinners in a row. We don't get much home cookin' around here these days.

Oh, and cool stuff - especially the cake.

Anonymous said...

Jeanette, you are one of those people that you were talking about. Seriously, you're amazing.

Sally said...

I think you're amazing too--heck, you made silhouettes!! I aspire. :D

Lisa said...

Those are AWESOME!!!! Can you make some for me??? lol, not like you don't have anything else to do!

BTW MISS YOU!!!!