Sunday, January 31, 2010

Sobering

It was a little after 3am this morning -- the kids were in bed, I was in the kitchen putting away groceries and Mark was asleep on the couch. All of a sudden there was a big BOOM! It woke Mark, it startled me and the kids, thankfully, slept right through it. Mark and I started discussing what could have caused it when within minutes we heard sirens screaming down our street. I ran to the door, then yelled for Mark to come.

This is what we saw across our street and 2 houses down -



Later, Mark was able to reach our neighbor in the hospital. She had gotten out of the house with some pretty bad burns, but was otherwise okay. Her husband, unfortunately, did not fare so well. He was in the house quite some time and was now in the ICU. She said his status was very touch & go, and asked for our prayers.

A tragedy like this is pretty sobering. We've been reflecting all day about it -- thinking about our level of preparedness, safety and all the blessings we have in the meantime. Obviously we are very grateful no one was killed in the fire, but even if Joe comes out fine they are by no means out of the woods yet. There is nothing left of their home. Their cars were in the garage so they were destroyed and Peggy said she hadn't seen her dogs. I'm doubtful they made it out. And now they have nothing. I can't even imagine.

If anyone else feels so inclined Joe and Peggy could certainly use your prayers right now. And maybe this is a good time to go check your furnace, gas lines and other potential fire hazards in your home.

7 comments:

Jen said...

Yikes.

Jen York said...

Oh my gosh, Jeanette. We'll include them in our prayers tonight and for the next several nights. That is just so tragic.

Lisa said...

OH MY GOSH, that is so SCARY! I'll will pray for them. It really does make you stop and rethink things doesn't it?

Anonymous said...

Wow. How scary! I'm glad you guys were okay!

Emily said...

I can't believe it. Wow!

Nate and Alyssa said...

my goodness. that is scary!

Amy said...

:( That is so sad. Our family will definately pray for them.