Friday, May 16, 2008

Mom moments

It doesn't happen very often that I get to have one of those "mom moments" that melt your heart and bring tears to your eyes, so I try to cherish every one. Today Andrea fell asleep as I stroked her hair. Okay, so probably that happened because she's way over-tired and has been a little terror lately, but that's another post. Anyway...
As I lifted her up to put her into bed I caught a glimpse of Andrea as a baby. Maybe that sounds strange, but somehow as I cradled her in my arms I was completely taken back in time to those first days of awe at this new, beautiful little girl. And I got to remember that feeling of overwhelming "mom love," wondering how I could possibly be so lucky and what is this little girl going to grow up to be like, and never having a clue until that moment that I could be part of something so ... perfect.
I guess that's why being a mom is so special - because under all the tantrums and mischiefs and accidents and yelling, crying, screaming, fighting, hitting, biting, throwing, hiding, breaking, sneaking, spilling, destroying, etc, etc, etc., every once in a while you get to glimpse your baby as the most remarkable thing "you've ever done."

3 comments:

Jen said...

Sweet!

Courtenay said...

Its moments like these that keep us moms going!

Lisa said...

I know exactly what you mean!