Monday, November 5, 2007

Straight Talk

Remember the whole saying from parents, "This is going to hurt me more than it will hurt you," right before they take a wooden spoon to your behind? Yeah, I never got that as a child. I truly did not believe that it could hurt their hand near as much as it hurt my rear-end. And if it did, why do it? Turns out, I was right. Of course, that's not what was meant at all, but how was I supposed to know that?
I figured for my own kids maybe I'd say it in a way easier to understand like, "I really don't want to spank your bottom..." But the sassy "Then don't!" reply nixed that. So now I've come to the plain old truth:
(Net) "Andrea, lay down. It's time for nap."
(Andrea) "I don't want to take a nap."
(Net) "I'm sorry you don't want to take a nap, but it's still time to take your nap."
5 minutes of arguing later...
(
Andrea) "I don't want to take a nap!"
(Net) "Too bad. Lay down!"
(Andrea) "You make me sad!"
(Net) "And I'm going to make you a whole lot more sad if you don't lay down, now lay down!"

No comments: