Sunday, October 21, 2012

Stripes


Last Sunday I posted this on Facebook. I'm reposting for "journal-ing" purposes. Sorry if you get a double dose. 

My poor girls had to learn about death tonight in a very hard way. Just as we sat down to dinner I received a call from a neighbor saying our cat had found his way over to her house. I went to retrieve him and tried to explain he was an outside cat, so the fact that he crossed the street was not a surprise. The girl remarked that she didn't like cats until she met this one -- he was so sweet. I la
ughed, telling her I felt the same way. We're talking full on cat-hater. Don't-do-pets kinda person. Until Stripes won me over.
In cruel irony, that was the moment Stripes chose to leap out of my arms and run into the street. Just as a car passed. And couldn't stop in time.
Sweet Stripes, we sure loved you. We will miss you dearly.


Small follow-up:
Stripes was buried in our front yard and has had many funeral 'services.' I think Lacie understands, but just isn't so saddened by it. Andrea was broken-hearted. Hyrum keeps telling Mark that he was "mean, putting Stripes in the dark hole," and Jacob just keeps looking for the kitty.
For my part, I was surprised at how hard it has been for me. Sunday night I bawled. And bawled. And bawled some more. Over a cat!! If you'd told me 3 months ago that I'd be doing that, I would have said you didn't know me!
I guess this cat really was just that special. Honestly, he never once hissed or clawed at my kids. Not once. Not when they pulled his tail; not when they tried to make him walk on 2 legs; not when they'd throw him in the bushes or try to force him into a basket. He'd leap away, but then he'd always come back -- purring like crazy as soon as you showed him any kindness.
I really loved that cat. And I really miss him. I don't want another cat. I don't believe I'd ever find one like Stripes. But then, I never thought I'd ever like a cat to begin with. :)

4 comments:

me said...

So sorry, Nettie. Sooo sad. He sounds like a really sweet soul. Enjoy kittie heaven, Stripes!

Jen said...

Awww. That's pretty sad!

Heather said...

Sorry to hear about poor Stripes!

Sally said...

Aw, that is so sad! I cried when our adopted stray, Tigger, got hit by a car, too. :( He was my little buddy, and i DO want another cat :D I hope you consider doing it again... Where did you get Stripes?