Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Tradition

It's hard to be held to a standard where you have no control in the outcome. Well... maybe 'held to a standard' is a little strong. Hopes were high.
In any case, we managed to follow suit and pull off the Viehweg brothers' kids' gender pattern tradition -- 2 girls, 2 boys.
In other words...
IT'S A BOY!
HOORAY!
We are absolutely thrilled. Truthfully, I would have been delighted to be able to dress up another little girl, but we really, really wanted a brother for Hyrum. Yay!
And really, it is pretty cool that the Viehweg boys all have the 2-boy/2-girl thing going on.

And now onto the naming process... aka: torture phase.
Yes, our last run was not as easy as I thought it should be. The girls and I all called the baby by the name I liked the whole pregnancy, only to find out that Mark hated it. Well, more like he didn't 'come around' by the time baby arrived. Rats.
3 weeks later we found ourselves holding a 4-hour scramble-to-find-a-name session the night before he was to be blessed. AHHHH! My mom, Nick and Lexye are all witness to the agony that took place. And it was a good thing they were there, too. Lexye read through the name books, my mom refereed and Nick provided MUCH needed comic relief when things started getting tense.
(I know, you're all thinking, 'Mark? Jeanette? Arguing and it getting ugly? Never!' haha)
In the end, my mom gets the credit for pulling the chosen name out of thin air. She suggested 'Hyrum' and I loved it; Mark didn't hate it, so we jumped on it, and the next morning Hyrum Scott Viehweg was blessed & given a name in church. Whew!

So...

Needless to say, we're a little trepidatious at the prospect of going through that again. :)
We figured a good solution would be to ask the girls. Here are their suggestions:

Chomper
Slider
Time-for-dinner
&
Hyrum 2

...

anyone else want to throw your 2 cents in? Cos I just don't think I could ever get used to any of those.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous. I've alwaysalways wanted 2 girls 2 boys not necessarily in that order. Congrats!

I love the name Jake. It's such a good name. Porter doesn't like it. boo. But I think Chomper sounds real chummy too :)

Sally T. said...

What's wrong with Hyrum 2? :-)

Rhett is a name we heard in Church the other day - the mom had never heard of Gone with the Wind (?!?!) and just found it in a baby book.

We like Liam, Tarver, Gage, Wyatt, Wayne, Gideon, Harrison, Jasper, Jake, Drew, Tage, Nelson, Colt, Zane, Holden, Asher, Levi, and Caleb. There are a couple of patterns there, you'll notice....

Courtenay said...

YEAH!!! So exciting. 2 girls and 2 boys really is a great combination. Everyone has a brother and sister...and in a great order (that is also the order my family is). I'm super happy for you guys.

Sorry I don't have any name suggestions. Andrew and I struggle with that ourselves. Good luck though...such an exciting time!

Lisa said...

YAY!!!! Another boy!!! Perfect!
Hmmmm I don't think I'll be much help on the naming front. I like more traditional names. How about Andrew? lol

Jen said...

Yahoo!!! I couldn't be happier for you guys! Another boy is PERFECT! Wish I could help you out on names, but this last run for us was our hardest.

Those are AWESOME suggestions from your girls - totally cracks me up!

The Murphy's. said...

congrats Viehweg Family! i'm so happy for you, and by the way your pics look awesome!

Anonymous said...

Hooray!!!!!! Can't wait!

Jon said...

Reminds me of my favorite saying: "Nothing makes you more productive than the last minute".

Mommydew said...

Woohoo! Congratulations!

Heather said...

Well, you have a Hyrum. How about a Joseph? Or is that too cheesy? Andrew, Daniel, Aaron...

Sally said...

I like Time-for-Dinner :D
And btw, CONGRATS! I'm a little late to find your news, I know...but i'm excited for you, all the same. And i confess, even more excited that i get to tell you congrats in person soon-! YAY!!

Sally said...

P.S. I kinda like Heather's idea of Joseph. Strikes a chord. Seriously. Makes me think of the brothers Nephi & Lehi named after their forefathers.