Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Where I've been

If you're wondering why the sudden barrage of posts as of late (especially if you're on the email list and are getting all the older-dated posts), or why there has been such a drought for the last few months, it's because I've been otherwise engaged. Let's call it "me-time."
This has been a big landmark year for me - I turned 30. I hit my all-time highest weight and my all-time lowest self-esteem. I weened off a medication that was the equivalent of detoxing from heroin. I was seeing 2 counselors, a psychiatrist, my bishop, and was still on suicide watch. My kids saw sides of me I'm not proud of, and Andrea only went to school on the days I could get up in time to get her to school on time - at noon. Mark was unemployed and I couldn't seem to stop spending money that we didn't have. My life had been spiraling downward and seemed to be nearing the bottom. I wasn't taking calls; wouldn't answer the door. I was bitter over an early church time and consequently hadn't made it to Sacrament meeting once since the beginning of the year. I was overrun with guilt over neglecting my kids, not going to church, not doing my callings, bailing on PTA, CIC, ANWA, PIGs, and Date Night special interest group, but couldn't manage to do anything differently. I hated that I couldn't pull myself out and be the person I wanted to be. I resented Mark and acted defensive and vengeful. I hated everyone. Mostly, I hated myself.
I was out of control.

In what I consider now to be inspired intervention, I made a move that I considered then to be desperate and reckless. I signed up for a new and controversial weight-loss program. It promised quick, but lasting results. It was expensive, but offered a credit card to cover the cost. Without consulting Mark, and not caring about the ramifications, I embarked on a journey I thought I understood, but really knew nothing about. The program spotlighted my weaknesses and took away my escapes. It was hard, demoralizing and exposing. And had I done just the diet, that's all it would have been. But I soon realized there was more to my crisis than mere weight, and if I were to conquer myself I'd have to do more than just diet. It wasn't about saving my figure - it was about saving my life.
I looked toward the LDS church's addiction recovery program, and there I learned something I'd never dared believe - I was loved. Truly loved. In fact, there is nothing I can do to not be loved.
It is not in my power to make myself un-loved.

The control is not in my hands, the decision is not mine, and there is no burden to prove myself. Even now, I can't express the joy and relief this gives me!
I threw myself into the program with renewed fervor. And while it took away my liberties, it gave me back control; it showed me I did have self-discipline and that I could succeed. I've started attending Overeaters Anonymous meetings where I gain great strength by the support of the group. I'm trying to face my demons by taking responsibility for the shortcomings I've blamed on others for so long. I still have far to go - I am in no way "fixed." But I have hope - for the first time.

Now the fun part!
Okay, yes, this is embarrassing. I'm still not comfortable with my body and I'm HORRIFIED at where I was.
BUT,
in the spirit of documenting my progress I am willing to release evidence of my metamorphasis. The physical part, anyway. And yes, I still have a long way to go. Gotta start somewhere, right?!






From beginning of March to the end of May I lost 42+ lbs and a cumulative 64".
(That's how tall I am, by the way - 64"!!)

I am by no means perfect - or even stable (!), but I'm doing better. I am committed to improvement. I am not deterred by setbacks. I'm learning to hand control over to a higher power, and I finally believe He will actually take my burdens.
I love my Savior. I love my family. I love my friends. Thank you to everyone who has helped me in & through this difficult time. There is still much to do, but as my counselor says,
"When there's no more work to do, you're dead!"

20 comments:

Jessica said...

Congratulations! It sounds like you are on the right track. By the way, I love you no matter what.

Mommydew said...

Wow. Thank you. That was one the most open and honest thing I think I have ever read. I'm so happy for you. You look great and I don't just mean the body, I mean the smile too.

Funny, I was going to comment on your post about Mark's birthday but never got around to it (lame). I was going to tell you that you looked...happy, healthy, more like the you I know you are inside!

Anonymous said...

Wow Jeanette. I'm so embarrassed that I didn't know half of that stuff was going on. All I have to say is, I am so proud of you. Change is always hard, and you are amazing.

Aaron and Julie said...

yay Jeanette!! I am so proud of you!! It is so hard but you are awesome and such a good inspiration to me!! Thank you for sharing this!!

Barney Lund said...

We sure love you, Netty! I think we're all going through one sort of metamorphosis or another. Good luck with yours, and great job so far!

Shaunanana said...

You are truly inspiring! I loved this post and how honest it is. I think the hardest part of changing something so drastic is acknowledging that there is a problem and having faith to overcome. I have learned a great deal of the power of the Atonement in my own metamorphosis (not so drastic or quick, but 20+ lbs and counting!). I miss you! My favorite part about your pictures is not just the change your body took, but your smile! Good luck on the rest of your journey and keep smiling!

Love you!

Mardi said...

Look at your smile in the most recent pictures. You've obviously come a long way - and not just physically. Keep that smile on!

Sally said...

Jeanette, you are amazing. Thank you for sharing what you have learned, I needed it. :) Love you!

Jon said...

Nice work, that is inspiring.

GaryB said...

Being willing to share our deepest fears and feelings is not only a sign of trusting others not to hurt you, but even more trusting yourself to deal with whatever happens. 'You've come a long way, baby!' and we've been pulling for you the whole time. And will.

With your level of self-esteem, you can afford to love others enough to let them help at the right times and vice versa. We all need some healing.

With love,
-Dad

Sally T. said...

Thank you for sharing so much - especially your feelings of being loved. I can't even imagine what all that would be like to go through. Way to come out the victor! And you LOOK GREAT! (I have to ask...what diet? I'm on an extreme one myself right now. HCG.) And your hair looks awesome! And you can TOTALLY take on the world! :-) Seriously, you are fantastic!

Anonymous said...

You are so inspiring!You look so so great! Thanks so much for sharing and for listening to me blab on the phone when you have enough on your own plate to deal with!

Keith said...

I really enjoyed reading this and would like to know more details about the principles you have come to learn through this experience - both the principles they teach in the program and the insight you have gained yourself. That is if you are ever so inclined.

I think this is applicable to everyone. Thank you for sharing.

Courtenay said...

Jeanette...I have come back to this blog post over-and-over wanting to comment, but not knowing what to say. I'm so sorry to hear about what you've been through. I wish I could have been there for you. I wish I could give you a big hug right now.

I am grateful to hear that you have turned to the Savior for help. His truly is the only power that can heal us...no strings attached.

I love you Jeanette, and will keep you in my prayers.

PS - Keep us updated on your progress :)

M and M said...

You're amazing, can I come see you soon? Give me a call, or I'll call you :)

Marcie said...

Wow! I love reading about all the isms you write about and just think you have such an adorable, happy family. I had no idea all that was going on. I was stunned reading it and wondering if it was all true. I'm so sorry. I agree with everyone else that the first thing I noticed in the pictures was your smile. Keep up the great work. We miss you and all of our Irving friends. Do you still do your gratitude journal? I loved reading it and helping me to see the small, happy things in life to be grateful for. I'm proud of you.

The Eggleston family said...

Isn't it interesting how when we need support the most we completely isolate ourselves from the world? Thank you for your honesty in your post. People typically only post "the good stuff" yet I find your blog to be so refreshing. I think you are a pretty incredible person, and you look fantastic. I have alot to learn from you! I miss you, and actually am really missing Texas and all my friends. Its pretty lonesome here! Thanks again for your faith in a higher power, it is inspiring.

The Eggleston family said...

By the way, it isn't Jared that posted that, but Shannon. Hope that didn't wierd you out or anything... I don't know how to fix that!! :O)

Angela said...

I love my brave and beautiful friend! So impressed by you Jeanette!

Angela said...

I love my brave and beautiful friend! So impressed by you Jeanette!