Friday, May 15, 2009

What's the point?

My dad flew in today from out of town and went to get a rental car. He was told that even though he had made a reservation a few weeks ago, the car he had reserved was not there/available.
Okay, so I've actually had this scenario myself so it's not too surprising, but still --- really? REALLY?
I thought the point of making a reservation was to reserve a car so that there would be one for me when I got there. Otherwise, why bother? It's like asking someone to save your place in line, and then when you get back they tell you sorry, go to the back of the line. What's the point?
So here's the kicker --
the guy told my dad when they took reservations they did hold the car, but just for an hour.
...
?
!!
Uh...
umm...
so...
huh?
You can't even fly anywhere in an hour -- cause you have to be at the airport more than an hour early before you ever even step foot on the plane; let alone the time it takes to taxi, land, do the baggage thing, etc.
I mean, seriously?

All I have to say is I hope bankers don't start getting any ideas from this.
("We'll guarantee your money for 24 hours, but after that who knows?")
Wait... did they?

7 comments:

Jen said...

Blllaaast! So how did Gary get where he needed to go? That's so lame!

Jon said...

What was the rental company?

Avis is on my blacklist after charging me $700 for 2 days because I changed my flight. The car was more expensive than the plane that trip!

I did eventually get it knocked down to a low low $350, but that was no small undertaking-- it took some serious phone threatening skeelz and lots of calls from lots of people. Dave Rodney gets the credit. Mary and I failed.

Net said...

Dang. Seriously, who do these people think they are anyway?

Net said...

oh, it was enterprise. and they eventually found him a car - he just had to come back 4 hours later. nice.

Sally said...

I know it--car rental companies define the word "reserve" differently, it seems. They should use a different term, like, "Call us to let us know you'll be landing in X city, and that you want a car. We won't save one for you, but we'll write your name down and see if you get lucky when you get here. Have a nice day!"... Bah.

Molly said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSZYsyrP3Co&NR=1

Tracy Haws said...

One time this happened to me. I had an eceonomy car reserved, but when I got there they were all gone. So, they decided to upgrade me to a 2009 mustang and still only charged me for the economy car. That was a fun trip!

Edward