Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Odds fish

I've lived in Texas long enough now that I don't remember quite how it is in other places - if the business center street corners are constantly filled with people employed to hold signs and/or banners all day. Here in Irving, TX it seems to be a very popular job. I've never seen the appeal, personally, but the corners never seem to lack for a dancing Statute of Liberty or Darth Vader announcing the next big sale.
However, in all my hold-a-sign-on-the-street-all-day job observing time here I'd never seen anyone get into a fight with a passing motorist until the other day when Weight Watchers apparently did not well enough screen their employees for hidden aggression issues against trucks. I'd also never seen a 'SALE!' sign used as a weapon before.
Too bad the light turned green before a clear winner could be declared.

4 comments:

Jen said...

Wow! That would've made a great YouTube video!

Sally said...

What the?? Really?

Molly said...

Sweet! I wish I could have seen that.

And yes, other places have those people too. Once there were people standing in front of my office building with a sign saying "SHAME ON UNIVERSITY OF PHOENIX" (also in our building). My boss talked to them and they didn't know anything about the school.

Jon said...

I think you just discovered the next level of corner people advertising. I would pay attention to the Statue of Liberty versus Darth Vader!