Sunday, April 17, 2011

Know-it-all

Any time my kids ask me how I know something, or why I think things are a certain way, or challenge in any other fashion that I am right, I remind them that:

"Moms know everything."

Early on Mark and I went to great lengths to establish & reinforce our almighty powers of omniscience. At one point we installed a security surveillance camera in the girls' bedroom and hooked it up to the tv. Then we'd chuckle diabolically as we'd yell, "get back in bed," then watch the girls stop dead in their tracks, sporting that deer-in-the-headlights look, wondering how on earth we could possibly have known that they had gotten out of bed? Woo-ha-ha!

HOWEVER,
recently it seems my mind has actually turned to mush. Call it sleep-deprivation, being overwhelmed, or maybe all those hours of watching tv are now taking its toll. Who knows? Whatever the cause, I am officially clueless. I've lost it. I know longer know anything about anything. My disciplinarian methods have been reduced to me begging Lacie, "Please, tell Mommy what to do so that you'll _______ (fill in the blank -- go to bed, stop fighting, pick up your shoes, etc).
Pathetic.
Last week I switched out Jacob's formula because I thought he was allergic to milk. That was once I realized he had a rash spread across his face, head, neck, and back. And that was after a week of thinking the kid just had really horrible acne! And now after all that, it turns out that he just has eczema.
Bah!

I used to joke with Mark that we needed to write the manual on parenting before we had kids and still knew everything. What I would give to have that manual now!


No comments: