Friday, September 28, 2007

Quick learners

I'm always amazed at how fast my kids can learn when they want to get something from me (i.e. treats). And similarly amazed when their super-learner skills dry up as soon as I try to teach them something (i.e. don't hit your sister).
The truly amazing part is when they learn something you didn't teach them and you have no idea how they came up with it. For example, the other night Mark asked me if I was teaching Andrea about time. I said, 'no, why?' And he tells me that when getting her ready for bed he told her she had 10 more minutes before bedtime. She looked up and said, 'how about 15?' Ummm, yeah. Where she learned about '15' and that it's more than '10'? No clue. Her bargaining skills? Let's just say I've never seen them in action with Lacie when it comes to Barbies...
So then yesterday I figure it's a good time to learn about clocks, seeing as she already knows so much. So I pull out a clock puzzle to teach Andrea about time. After getting past the numbers and all, I teach her about saying '_ o' clock.' And then I quiz her: (Net) 'If it points to the 8, what time is it?' (Andrea) '8 o' clock.' (Net) 'Good Andrea! So if it points to the 5, what time is it then?' (Andrea) 'Horse.' (Net) 'What? No, it's pointing to the 5. What time is it?' (Andrea) 'Um, the horse has to eat.'
I think the important thing here is not that she isn't learning - because she is. She's learning how to make mom lose hair faster.

No comments: